Happy Cinco de Mayo, friends! This holiday instantly brings a few things to mind: tacos, nachos (with vegan cheese, of course!), and margaritas. Now, I’m not a fan of tequila, so I thought I’d bring you a recipe based on my very favorite cocktail!
When Alex and I were honeymooning in Cancun, we stayed at an all-inclusive. To say we were spoiled would be the understatement of the year.
One of the perks of staying at an all-inclusive was unlimited drinks and the ability to try something new instead of being tempted to stick to “safe drinks” because we didn’t want to spend $9 on a cocktail we didn’t like. I made it my mission while we were there to try as many different types of mojitos as I could while we were there and I was NEVER let down (and I NEVER ran out of new options). It’s been almost a year, but I remember having mango, strawberry, blackberry, passionfruit, kiwi, pineapple, clementine, and cucumber mojitos. I’m sure there were more that I’ve forgotten, but I’d do just about anything to be back on that beach with one of those delicious mojitos.
It’s those mojitos from Excellence Playa Mujeres that inspired this recipe.
MOJITO FRUIT SALAD
- 8 cups fresh fruit I used all green fruit: apples, grapes, kiwi, honeydew, and cucumber*
- 2 tbsp powered sugar
- 2 tbsp rum or more to taste
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Fresh mint I personally like a LOT of mint here
- Chop fruit into bite-size pieces and add to a serving bowl
- Mix mint, powdered sugar, lime juice, and rum in a separate bowl. Use a fork to muddle the mint and make sure the mint flavor is really released into the mixture
- Drizzle the mixture over the fresh fruit and serve chilled by the pool for a refreshing, boozy snack
*While I had a cucumber mojito that was truly delicious, if I made this recipe again, I'd probably stick to the sweeter fruits and leave the cucumber out of the mix.