It’s no secret that pizza is one of America’s favorite foods. In my prevegan days, you could catch me chowing down on some sausage pizza on a typical Friday night. Extra ranch, please.
When I went vegan, I mistakenly thought pizza was one of those foods I would have to “give up”.
Little did I know that vegan pizza options not only exist, but they are plentiful. Did you know that you can order vegan at larger chains found all throughout the country such as Papa John’s, Little Caesars, Domino’s, and Pizza Hut? I’m not saying you should order pizza tonight, but I’m also not saying you shouldn’t.
Alex and I actually have a pizza restaurant right around the corner that has an entire vegan menu complete with vegan breadsticks, pasta, pizza, and dessert. They also have salad if that’s your thing, but I’ll stick with pizza, thank you very much.
One of our favorite items on their menu is the vegan Italian sausage. We don’t know the recipe, but I’m sure if they told me, they’d have to kill me.
Instead of risking that, I decided to play around with my favorite vegan protein and make my own sausage recipe.
TEMPEH ITALIAN SAUSAGE
- 8 oz tempeh
- 1 1/2 tbsp vinegar-based Italian dressing
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground fennel
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- dash of each
- brown sugar
- dried oregano
- dried thyme
- Crumble the tempeh into small pieces into a bowl and add the Italian dressing. Mix to coat. Set aside.
- Combine all of the remaining ingredients. Pour over tempeh crumbles and mix until well combined.
- Use for pastas, pizzas, sandwiches, or whatever else your little heart desires.
PIZZA STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- 1/2 tempeh Italian sausage recipe
- 12-15 button mushrooms
- One jar of your favorite marinara sauce bonus if you make some homemade!
- Fresh basil
- Vegan mozzarella or nutritional yeast*
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- Clean and remove stems from the mushrooms
- Spoon 1-2 tbsp of marinara into each mushroom
- Top with tempeh sausage crumbles
- Top with optional nutritional yeast or vegan mozzarella
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, monitoring closely during the last 10 minutes so that you do not end up with burnt mushrooms
- Garnish with fresh basil